The city of Brașov
Brașov, the administrative residence of Brașov County, is situated at 170 km from Bucharest.
Traces of human existence in the area are dating from 60.000 years ago, the residents of these parts have gone through all the specific stages of antique civilization. The most important monument of the antiquity is the Dac Sanctuary from Racos, a monument not very accessible to the tourists.
Another testimony of the glorious past of history is the roman camp from Rasnov, situated at the N-E border of the Roman Empire, which included Brasov County in the second century.
A rock inscription shows us the antique name of the city and its surroundings: Cumidava. Barsa Country, another name of Brasov County, played an important role in Middle Eve, having three strategic points which ensured its economic, military and political development. The first point is Fagaras Fortress, where Negru Voda declared the foundation of Romanian Country, at south from the Carpathians.
The fortress and the region are known as Fagarasului Country, which for a long period of time was under Romanian administration, preserving the Romanian habits and representing a safe place for the leaders of the Romanian Country. The second point is the Bran Castle, which dominated the path through which goods from Germany, Turkey and The Near East were carried. The third point is Brasov, the first documentary attestation is from 1234.